Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Cheap and easy dinners using your stockpile!!!


My household is always full of teenage boys in addition to my family of 4 (not to mention my husband's friends that come over to "hang out" on Friday night!)  Needless to say, before I started couponing, I NEVER had enough food in the house!!! It seemed that no matter how much food I bought, I always ran out of snacks and easy dinners.

Now that I coupon, I always make sure I have enough of certain items so that I can have "go to" meals when needed.  As you begin stockpiling, you won’t have all of these items and that’s ok. Every couponer started out small and then their stockpile grew. These are items that are a must have in your pantry!


Pasta and Pasta Sauce
Hot dogs
Pillsbury Crescent Rolls and Biscuits
Shredded cheese (I buy in bulk at the Grocery Outlet)
Beans-canned black and pinto
Ground beef and  chicken
Philadelphia Cooking Cream
Evaporated Milk
Eggs, milk and butter
Tortillas (corn and flour)

Below are two meals that my family loves and I can pull together at the drop of a hat.

Homemade Macaroni & Cheese
My son makes this all the time and we add sliced hot dogs or ground sausage, depending on what we have in the fridge.  I found this recipe while watching Guys Big Bite and it's been a fave in my house every since.
Ingredients
  • 2 quarts water
  • 1 tablespoon salt, plus more for seasoning
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
  • 1/2 stick butter, melted
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 16 ounces shredded sharp Cheddar
  • Dust with paprika
Directions
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Bring water, salt, and oil to boil over high heat Add pasta, bring back to a boil and cook until al dente, 8 to 9 minutes. Drain pasta and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
In a large bowl, mix together eggs, evaporated milk, melted butter and salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in 3/4 of the cheese and add the pasta. Spray an 8 by 8-inch baking pan with nonstick spray and add the pasta mixture. Top with remaining cheese and dust with paprika.
Bake until the cheese is golden and bubbly, about 30 minutes. Serve hot.

Easy Chicken Burritos
Ingredients
3 cups shredded chicken
1 tub Santa Fe Philadelphia Cooking Creme
1 can of pinto or black beans
8 flour tortillas
1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese
melted butter
Directions                               
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a non stick skillet, heat shredded chicken, cooking creme and beans until warmed. Spoon mixture in warmed flour tortillas.  Roll into burritos and place in a greased casserole dish.  Brush melted butter over the top of the burritos.  This will make them brown and crisp up.  Bake for 15-20 mins, or until heated through.  Sprinkle shredded cheese and cook another 2-3 minutes.
I hope these meal ideas help you the next time you’re trying to come up with a quick and easy meal!

-Trish

No comments:

Post a Comment